Monday, August 4, 2008

Video day


Once again I am wireless in Wawona ...

Photographer Veronica Adrover and I have had a great day in Wawona doing video work - talking to some students as they push toward the finish of their summer REU or YLP experience and enjoying the clear air, the lizards and deer, the sound of rushing water. We even did a mini hike up the Chilnualna Falls Trail to get some falling water footage (and dip our feet in a lovely little pool!) It is a paradise on earth. How lucky all of us are to be here!

Today was also a great day for media as the article I've been working for on an REU research project appeared in the Fresno Bee. It's about Dannique's hydrology research. We are pretty darned happy about that, and - bonus! - it also appeared in at least four other newspapers (in Merced, Monterey, Kansas City and Miami!). With distribution that wide already, I am crossing my fingers for an Associated Press pickup - meaning it could keep moving to other news outlets in the next few days. There's your little window into my weird PR world ...

We're going to try to catch some of the students who are working in the labs in Merced tomorrow. We originally planned to stay up here, but there are too many of you already down in the Valley! It's great, actually - it will really make the connection (nudge, nudge ...) between your work in the park and the UC Merced campus.

After that, I leave for my family vacation, so this is probably the last time I'll be in the park with everybody. It has been a blast!

I do have a lot more writing to do when I get back - lots of interviews to listen to and write up, not to mention publicity for the symposium coming up Aug. 15. So you'll see echoes of your Yosemite summer on the UC Merced Web site - and maybe in other places, too - for several months to come.

No comments: